Originally broadcast on BBC1 between 19th May – 23rd June 1973, The Green Death is a firm favourite with fans and marks Katy Manning’s final appearance in Doctor Who. This new special edition of a story last released in 2004 includes a nice new selection of extras, as you might expect…
So, what’s it all about? For those of you unaware of this slice of classic Jon Pertwee era Doctor Who:
When a man is found dead with his skin glowing green in an abandoned mine near the Welsh village of Llanfairfach, it’s not long before the Doctor, Jo Grant and UNIT head to Wales to investigate.
And while the Doctor becomes suspicious of the nearby Global Chemicals factory and its mysterious owner, Jo gets trapped underground where she finds old mine tunnels crawling with deadly and sinister giant maggots…
But why would you buy a DVD that has already been released? Naturally it’s for the improved visuals and audio as well as the special features!
- Commentary with actors Katy Manning (Jo Grant), producer Barry Letts and script editor Terrance Dicks.
- Bonus commentary with actors Richard Franklin (Captain Yates) and Mitzi McKenzie (Nancy), moderated by Toby Hadoke (episodes 3 – 5); with actress Katy Manning and writer Russell T Davies (episode 6)
- The One With the Maggots – Cast and crew look back at the making of this story.
- Global Conspiracy? – A spoof investigative report looks at the strange happenings in the village of Llanfairfach.
- Visual Effects – An interview with the story’s visual effects designer, Colin Mapson.
- Robert Sloman Interview
- Stewart Bevan Interview
- Wales Today – Two pieces from the BBC Wales news programme – a mute 1973 film insert from the filming of The Green Death, and a 1994 item with Jon Pertwee opening the new country park that was built on the site of the colliery used in the story.
- Doctor Forever – The Unquiet Dead. In this unique interview, new series creator Russell T Davies and then BBC Controller of Drama, Jane Tranter, talk about the genesis of Doctor Who’s rebirth on television.
- What Katy Did Next – A look at Serendipity, the TV series that Katy Manning presented after leaving Doctor Who.
- The Sarah Jane Adventures – Death of the Doctor This two-part story from 2010 sees Katy Manning reprising her role as Jo Grant and a guest appearance by Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor. Optional Commentary with actress Katy Manning and series creator Russell T Davies.
- Radio Times listings (DVD-ROM)
- Programme subtitles
- Production information subtitles
- Photo gallery
- Easter Eggs
- Coming soon trailer
- Digitally remastered picture and sound quality
That’s quite a big selection of extras, we think you’ll agree, and you can now pre-order The Green Death: Special Edition for just £15.25 from Amazon(RRP £20.42) ahead of its 5th August release.